So, it's December.
A few days ago I posted a status update on my Facebook about December: "Oh, December. With you, you bring BIG football, BIG rumors and BIG Holidays. I love you."
I do love December. I think it's fun to watch the big football, the bowl games. I have always been one to love a good rumor and coaching/player rumors rank right up there! I mean after all, my family's livelihood and future sort of ride on those rumors! If so-and-so leaves, will we have a job? You never know. It's certainly not a given that if a head coach leaves that you'll go with him. So...back to the BIG football. Since I have been on Facebook a little over a year now I actually have come to hate bowl season. I understand that people are so emotionally attached to their football team, and say that they just want "bowl fairness" but sometimes it gets personal. So many people sent me messages about how Florida didn't deserve to be in the title game last year and it really upset me. I know the people behind this team. I know all the coaches, their wives and children and I personally know team members. Oh, also my very own husband works for them. So don't come and attack me about them or I will be very upset. I am not the BCS. I am actually relieved that Florida isn't in the title game this year because I don't want that again. I don't understand why people complain every year about a system that isn't looking to change in the near future due to various reasons (money!). Being in the position we are in, I see the politics behind college football, the perks that coaches get (lots of money) and especially players get (academically, etc.) and it makes me so angry. I've seen really good friends fired over "losing seasons" and it's just really sad.
That being said, maybe I should not have posted that status on my Facebook. Because now that I think about it, maybe I don't love college football as much as I used to. Sad! I don't love the rumors because they do affect my husband and my close friends; my only friends here. I have decided that I am no longer going to knock anyone for the team they have chosen to follow because I realize that there are deep emotions there too. And for all you Y fans out there that is going to be really, really hard for me. And my dislike for the Y goes back to my hate of the "politics" thing. No need to go there.
(I don't really know why I am posting this. I'm just a bit emotional today I guess. I'd blame it on PMS but since I'm pregnant I am void of periods. Did I remember my anti-depressant?? So, if I take this down, don't be surprised.)
I do, however, still really love the BIG Holidays of December and that is what I'm going to focus on. Scarlett's 2nd birthday is coming up, I can focus on Christmas (yay!), pack for and enjoy being in New Orleans, and try to have fun there with my kids, not worrying about the game too much, OR whether or not we're going to be in Gainesville much longer.
My Facebook today? "Jude and Sienna: together again?? Oh, and Tiger! What is your freaking problem??"
5 comments:
Don't take this down, Linz! You have every right to your opinion. For the record, I still consider you one of my dearest friends even though we are polar opposites of the BCS debate AND the BYU/Utah rivalry. I knock your side ... you knock my side ... I don't take it personally and I hope you don't either!
And I'm sorry that Florida isn't going to the big game! One loss to the #2 team definitely does not warrant a #5 ranking in my book. But that's another discussion for another time.
Love you! I can't wait to hear more about your pregnancy.
Do you need me to hunt anyone down and kick some serious ass for you? Cuz I will totally do it! :) And especially if they are "Y" fans! :)
New Orleans?!? Wow! That's how much I know about college football--I didn't even know that's where you'd be going. I'm super happy you get to go there. I also haven't heard any rumors but if it means you'd be moving back to SLC, that would be a good thing in my book :) (but not likely I realize). And as far as Facebook, I'm not on there but if I were, I would not give you grief about football! But I would enjoy photos of you and Brian and your kids and I would wish only the best for Brian's career and I'd wish that darling baby a Happy Birthday. I wish I could tell you it was easier in another career but every job has politics and potential changes, etc., and it sort of stinks but that's how it goes. Love you lots and I might not care about college football but I do care about you and yours! Shana
Linds,
We don't know anything about football. So we're better friends than everyone else. We just cheer for whoever you tell us to.
I miss you and love you!
Have fun with your mom coming up!!
Jayne
your blog looks so pretty... I just love football I don't care who is playing as long as I can lay on my couch and be warm... I think what you said is important, it is hard when you feel personally attacked, that is your family
Post a Comment