For the past little while, this happy couple has been busy!
(Perched atop the roof)
About ten days ago, I noticed one blade of grass and one sprig of clover at the base of the wreath on my front door. I didn't think anything of it (wind?), got sidetracked and never took them out. That was the start of a little birds nest!
I was so confused. Why my door? Um, birds, we have a kitty! And what if my son inadvertently slams the door and your babies go flying out?
Of course being the bird lover that I am, and some might say "enabler", I was so excited and started putting things in the nest for them to use. They used 2 cotton balls, threw a Q-Tip on my doormat (didn't want it) and ate the kitty food I put in there. I knew they needed a healthy diet, and am always catching them in my garage eating my kitty's food.
Then...
Today when I went outside, I checked the nest for progress and noticed THE EGG!
It is so cute, I love it! It is the exact size and shape of these:

I hope this little egg can survive. Chances are that it won't. But it sure has been fun watching these birds work their little tail feathers off. I'll keep you posted.
{P.S. If someone really did just put a Cadbury Mini Egg in there to trick me I'm really going to be pissed because that's just mean. ;) }
10 comments:
OK that is so funny! I LOVE that you gave it things to help in the nest! You are too funny! Yeah, I would probably make a "use the back door" rule! :) Not that it would stick.
By the way, I posted directions for the rainbow cake in the comments under the post if you want them. I shoulda thought of that one before, but alas...
:)
I love that nest and the egg! I'll be watching for updates. That cotton sure looks soft. I promise I didn't put a Cadbury egg in there.
That is so cute. My mom had a birds nest built in her wreath too last summer. It was there for quite awhile and occasionally a bird would peck on the glass part of the door when in the nest.
The grandkids would slam the door all the time, forgetting the birds were in there, but they stayed put!
Mmmm..Cadbury eggs...
OK ... it was me. I put the Cadbury egg there. (Yeah, right. As if I could have a Cadbury egg in my possession and not immediately eat it!)
That is so funny. I can't believe that you put out supplies for them! That totally cracks me up!!
At least it is the wreath on the front door.. Two years ago I had a bird nest in my BBQ- It sucked because I refused to destroy it. I ended up buying a new BBQ so that they could just have the old one! I am such a push over!
What? That is so awesome. I can't believe they'd build a nest in something so close to your door! But they've got taste, that is a sweet wreath and cute red door!
I also loved that you gave them cotton balls and kitty food.
Ok that's a once in a life time story. Keep taking pictures. I would love to see the outcome. By the way, are you avoiding the use of your front door?
Just lick the egg and see if it tastes like candy. I bet you would be able to tell for sure if someone was tricking you.
I'll bet KTB put the egg there. :)
I love the photos, Linds. My friend Becky had a bird nest on her front door wreath and they hatched and lived. Seriously! We get them in my hanging flower baskets (Finches) almost every year and they survive the watering and everything. I've put yarn out for them before. I remember helping my kids up on the porch railing so that they could see the eggs AND the birds. What a fun fun surprise for you and the kids, Linds. Good luck! So cool!
Lisa
we had some birds build a nest in our barbque- we moved it out one day(looking back I know that was mean)and the very next day we went to bbq and it was back- it is amazing how fast they work- they had built a brand new one- we needed a new bbq anyways.....
Post a Comment