Monday, March 30, 2009

Marchin' For Babies!

Early Saturday morning the kids and I went walking for the March of Dimes/March for Babies
 

We had to be there at  7:00 am to register.  I love mornings, and the morning sky was so beautiful on the way to the starting point that I had to take a picture while driving.   So smart!


After we registered, we had about 35 minutes to kill so the kids were more than entertained listening to the Gainesville High School band.

(Quote Of The Day goes to GHS Marching Band Parent: "I knoooow! The flute section is really going to suffer when they lose this years' seniors!")

These were my views as we walked.  Every mile or so there were Victory Stations sponsored by various local companies.  They would offer water, Gatorade, pastries, ice cream (?), bags with coupons, etc.  

(Deacon holding his tiny muffin, saving, while Scarlett shoves hers in her mouth and has a shoe half-way off.)

(Statement overheard from yellow shirted gal: "I was like, 'Yes!, Kool-Aid as hair dye does still work!") 

(Obama, did YOU know this?  Who needs eleventy billion dollars bailout when you have GRACE!?)

The most heartwarming part of the walk was the last 3 mile stretch.  There were posters with pictures of prematurely born babies with the tag-line "Every Baby Has A Story" and it would tell the story of how/why a baby was born early.  Then the baby (now older child) and their family would be sitting out by the poster.  There were probably 50 of these, and it was amazing to read the stories and then see the families behind the story.  


I am so glad that I did this walk.  I always want to volunteer more in my community, and this makes me feel like I did just a little bit for a great organization.  After 8.6 miles, I was tired, especially after pushing that monstro stroller.  Now I am just nursing a huge blister on my heel!

Sorry the pictures are not so great.  I was, after all WALKING.




11 comments:

Paulina... said...

wow, how many miles did you walk total? 8.6? So cool I would have love to do that with you, we walked bloomsday last year I am not so sure about this year. we will see

Alisha said...

Nice job Linds1 I would have been in tears the last few miles with all the preemie stories.

Kate said...

Way to go! I can't believe that you dared to push your kids for 8.6 miles!! How long did it take? Did you Benadryl your kids so they'd sit still? ;)

I wish I could have been there with you - sounds like such a neat experience. I would have loved to read those birth stories, except that I would have been bawling like a boob the whole way.

Unknown said...

That was a long walk. I am amazed your kids lasted. Mine would have been screaming bloody murder. Good Job.

Ninja Scott said...

How fun...and yes I can't believe your kids were good the whole time, especially because it would have taken me ALL DAY LONG to walk 8 miles! Bwwwahhhh!!

Lindsey said...

The entire walk took me a little under 3 and a half hours. I was hauling because after 5 miles it kind of started to suck a little bit. The kids were so good! There were lots of dogs to keep them entertained but then they fell asleep from mile 2 to 6.

Alisha, i was totally thinking of you (and Amy L. if she reads this)! You should post your stories about your boys.

Stacey said...

Way to go Linds!! Sounds like it was totally worth it. And the weather!! Oh the weather what I wouldn't give to have more than two days in a row without snow.

Anonymous said...

I am so impressed that you could do that! What a neat thing for you to do with your darling little kids. I loved the photos, the sky was beautiful. Watch out, if you want to serve in your community, it won't be long until you're PTA president ;). Love you guys, Shana

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see that Deacon is feeling well now. I'm really proud of you Linds! That's a long walk. I laughed that you wrote "after 5 miles it started to suck a little bit." You're so great. I love you guys so much...and really miss you!! Dang!
Lisa

Jayne said...

Linds!
I'm totally proud of you! That is so great. 7 am too! That is dedication. I got my taxes done and instead of paying them I got to donate to the march of dimes. Not nearly as charitable as you (I got my taxes done for it,) but glad to donate to them rather than Liberty Tax!

Brimley Girl said...

Good golly...you did it Linds! I loved the pictures and that they had stories about precious babies. I'm glad the kids were good, I know they keep you "hopping". Love you, Mom