It's interesting. The people you encounter in day-to-day life. And I happened to come across one of these people today.
I took Deacon to his final (yes, final!) post-op appointment today with the plastic surgeon. And before I always quite enjoyed the wait in the waiting room. Being since it's a plastic surgeon I always imagined why these people were there. Some quite obvious....oh yes, she's here because she has obviously had implants!....hmmm, looks like someone may have "broken their nose"!.... But today was a little different.
Deacon and I sat down in a overly crowed waiting room across from this particular person, who at first, I didn't really get a good look at. Deacon was being restless, it was his naptime and I had my hands full. I was trying to get him a bottle when I heard in a strange voice "Wow, he sure looks like he's a handful!". I looked up and to my surprise saw someone who was obviously in to see this doctor to have quite a few procedures done. This person appeared to be transgendered or going through a sex-change, from a male to a female. I politely answered her saying that yes, he was quite a handful! "She" proceded to tell me that her name was Dayle or Dale, you decide, and that she was engaged to the love of her life that she had met only 6 months ago. Her fiance was also a she.
Dayle or Dale was very friendly. She had blonde hair that she had just started to grow out, with the unfortunate male pattern baldness showing. She curled her hair under and this includes her bangs. She wore a quite cute pink cotton blouse, a long denim skirt and flip flops. She had a mans body, but with the beginnings of a womans body.
It's funny to me, how sometimes just being a woman (or having the appearance of a woman) gives you the right, or the comfort level to ask another woman somewhat personal questions. These are some of the questions Dayle or Dale asked me in front of the whole waiting room:
"So, did you deliver him vaginally?"
I nod.
"Are you breastfeeding?"
I shake my head and say "No. And he is drinking whole milk now".
"Why didn't you breastfeed?"
Oh geez. "I just preferred the bottle, I guess".
"It's hard to lose weight, isn't it? I haven't been able to wear this blouse for ages. I bet you're having a hard time with baby weight, aren't you?"
Yes, it's tough.
She then proceded to tell me more about herself and her fiancee as I scoped the rest of the waiting room, wishing I knew someone else, or Brian would show up and save me from this conversation. It's not that I didn't want to talk, I did, I just didn't want my stories out there. Then I thought, this person is really just trying to fit in. She is taking her life in a direction that she feels is right and that is best for her. She must not have been happy before, she was in 2 failed marriages (yes, she told me that too) and if this was going to make her happy then I congratulate her. What she was doing wasn't just going to happen overnight, it was going to be a long, costly process. She didn't need anyone ridiculing her and I surely wasn't going to do that.
When Dayle or Dale finally got called in to see the doctor, she said to the nurse "Well, my cappucino is just going right through me, I need to run to the restroom!"
Unfortunately, I did NOT see what restroom she went in.
1 month ago
10 comments:
Isn't it funny how some people feel they ask such personal questions. Good for you for talking to her/him. I'm sure you made a great impression on other waiting to see the doctor, of course they were probably thinking glad it's her and not me. One more plus in your favor.
What a great gift from Brian - how creative and thoughtful he is. Enjoy your shopping trip.
How was the Daytona? That is a once in a life time opportunity.
Gram
Awesome Linds. I ran into a transgender type at K-mart. He--looking like a she with very masculine hands, gave me a screamin' deal on a lady and the tramp animal Hazel had to have. I don't remember her/his name. But sure was a nice soul.
I loved your writing! It was so fun. I wish you got to see which bathroom Dayle went in--gosh you kind of were in a special new episode of SNL's Pat!!
I bet she thought you were there to check up on those implants! Tee hee!
I know what she/he would think I was there for...
Also implants right Shan?
No, a nose job.
Ha ha! Pollups! Gross!
Hey bosom buddy--why no commenting on my bosom joke?
I told her that I wasn't there to check up on my implants...they seem to be fine and intact.
I was there for my lipo pre-op, I have given up on this exercise carp since it don't do no good.
Wow, I've missed a lot since I've been gone.
Linds, I've tried the "exercise carp" too and it really is crappy. Something's fishy about it!
D'oh! Carp!
Jus' messin' wit ya, Linds! I never mispell anything!
Post a Comment