Thursday, July 23, 2009

These Rock!

So this afternoon, I get a ring at the door and there are these two cute little 8 or 9 year old girls standing on my porch.  One has a Gators fanny-pack on and the other has a spiral notebook and pencil in hand.


"Hi!"  I cheerfully greet them.

"Um, hi.  Um, we're selling stuff and wanted to know if you wanted to buy anything?"

"Well, what have you got?"

The tall redhead opens her fanny-pack and pulls out this craptastic Play-Doh ladybug, a purple painted rock with a googly eye glued on, and a teeny tiny glass magnet with a smily face painted on it.  

"Oh wow!" I say.

"We can make whatever you want even!"

I tell her that I would like 2 rocks, please.  One with a butterfly for Scarlett and one with a ball on it for Deacon.  The shorter girl with the pad of paper carefully writes down my order, takes my name, tells me "That will be fifty cents, and you can pay us later, ok!?"

I shut the door, laugh,  and watch as they giddily run home to make my treasures.

Here is what I got:

13 comments:

Kate said...

That is awesome. You know that you just totally made their day, and their moms are probably telling the grandmas all about it! "They actually SOLD some! Can you believe it?"

Lindsey said...

Exactly. The moral of the story is...if you can make a little girls' day by spending only fifty cents, isn't it worth it? I think so. Even though the butterfly has chipped off I still think it was darling. And whatever kind of ball that is, I love that too.

Brimley Girl said...

Those are the cutest rocks. I'm sure those little girls were so happy. I think you should have given them at least $1.00 though.

Unknown said...

That's so cute. Well worth 50 cents. in 20 years those little girls will probably be a multimillion dollar business.

Anonymous said...

What cute little entrepreneurs! Way to be supportive.

Karen said...

Freakin' HILARIOUS! I remember trying to sell pieces of paper to my neighbors as a kid. Just plain, pieces of notebook paper. Yeah. At least these kids are more creative!

Amy Lindstrom ~ YourLifeUncommon.com said...

Ok that made me laugh! It reminded me of my little sister Rachel. When she was younger she and her friend took a bread bag and walked around the neighborhood to gather rocks. When the bag was full they set out to solicit one door at a time. $13 later.....

At least yours were painted! I hope the old neighbors don't see this post! They will surely feel jypped! :)

Shana said...

I say you rock for buying those.

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Ha! That is freakin' hilarious!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So cute of you to buy them Linds! Its pretty impossible to resist kids selling things. Remember you sold cherries from Grams and Gramps cherry tree quite a few times. Then we discovered they had worms in them. What else funny did you guys sell up there?
I bought some lemonade from Mathew Clark and Jane and Clair Nielsen today. I got the last drop. They gathered up their coins and were off to the "Secret Store" before I made it home again.
I love the rocks. That was a cute story.
Can't wait for you to come to UTAH!
Love Lis

jayne wells said...

I also bought some cherries from Jane Nielson and another neighbor girl. They were selling cherries and banana chips. $.25 a piece. Ha! I think the rocks are the best idea yet. I'm sending Hazel and Parley out tomorrow.

Two more days till you come??

We can do hard things! said...

You are the best, Linds!

Anonymous said...

That is one of the funniest stories ever! so darling!