Thursday, November 2, 2006

Men.....and their "Quirks"

Today as Deacon was taking his morning nap and I was in the bathroom blow drying my hair I was looking around at our counter and our sinks. I was noticing things, and differences between my sink and side of the counter compared to Brians sink and his side of the counter. The mess on his side (just so you know, my side is not spotless either) made me chuckle because this is Brian. And the little messes he leaves make me think of all his quirks that in the past annoyed the daylights out of me but now just make me chuckle and now can just deal with it.

Before I list a few of Brians quirks I just want to go on the record and say that yes, I did get his permission to do this blog and yes, I told him that whenever he gets the time he is welcome to be a "guest blogger" on our site and list my quirks because I know that I have them too. I also want to say that I love Brian more than my life; and these quirks make me love him even more.

OK, here we go.

QUIRK #1 - It is very hard for Brian to put a new roll of toilet paper on the roll. Although we have a toilet paper holder right next to the dispenser, it just takes "too much time" to put the new roll on there. Although he has the time to get the new roll and just set it on top of the cardboard roll on the dispenser. Excuse me for being crude but one does have the time to put a new roll on while one is using the toilet.

QUIRK #2 - One can always tell when Brian has been in the kitchen looking for something to eat. Every single cupboard and drawer will be open. It also must take "too much time" to close them after opening them. And if he is home when I notice this, he will know that I am aggravated by the cupboards being ajar as I will be sure and shut them loudly enough for him to hear.

QUIRK #3 - Brian, bless his heart, has very sensitive skin on his face. He was very fond of my Clinique "yellow lotion". Most people put a dab of lotion on their fingers or palm and then apply to their face. But not Brian. Brian has to use one of my nice washcloths, put the lotion ON the washcloth and then use the washcloth to apply the lotion on his face. I asked him why he does this and his reply was that he always got "too much lotion on his hands" before and this way the lotion he doesn't use gets absorbed into the towel, thus, wasting unwanted lotion on the washcloth. So, my nice washcloths (about 6 now) are all STAINED yellow.

QUIRK #4 - One thing Brian does not like is bed linens. I on the other hand adore nice sheets, blankets and bedspreads. How do we work this out? Easy! We make the bed the way I like it and then Brian will get into bed by pushing ALL the linens to the center of the bed creating a barrier between the two of us. He will then sleep on the fitted sheet because that's "soft" and wrap up in my favorite "soft" green quilt. He does this because the flat sheet, the blanket and the bedspread are in his opinion "not soft" and "too restricting". This has gotten to the point where we are each used to our separate and divided bed space and if either of us venture over the barrier of bed linens we freak out.

QUIRK #5 - As I have told many of you, bathtowels need to be replaced at least every day when living in Florida. The humidity can leave your bath towels smelling very sour at the end of the day and that my friends, is gross. Brian does get up very early in the morning, and most times it is very hard for him to get up and most times, he is running a bit late, and has forgotten to grab a new clean towel. These times, using the yuck towel has left a not-so-fresh odor on his body that he is the only one that can smell. The solvent? Use Lindsey's nice, expensive perfume ON the towel! And this resolution is usually done with 5 or 6 more sprays then necessary. Oh yes. Believe you me, he leaves the house smelling like a room full of Dolce & Gabbana. My goal though has been to replace his towel whenever I do my own and this quirk is coming to an end, thank you very much.

I am limiting the quirks today to the 5. Mainly, because these are the 5 that I can laugh at now. I remember my aunt Shana telling me that quirks are something that you just have to "deal with" when you get married. Then, I didn't think that it could be too bad because if you love someone so much there are no such thing as "quirks". Ha. That is funny of me. I invite all you readers to leave a comment with funny quirks in your household. But Brian, I love you so much and I don't want you to change at all.....except.....we are NOT opening the windows at night to save on AC costs.....the FROGS, LIZARDS, COCKROACHES and MOTHS WILL GET IN!!!


2 comments:

C. Jane Kendrick said...

I can see my dearly beloved husband doing all 5 of those things. The soft blanket he chooses is also green.
But we love them anyway.

de Simas Twins said...

That's funny when Brian and I were living together in Moscow he liked my green blanket too, and I had to do all the cleaning. As far as the perfume goes it is important for a man to smell his best. Love, Uncle Carl